SDA Health & Safety Engineer
Ministry of Defence
SDA Health & Safety Engineer
£43,400 - £47,000
As part of a diverse and inclusive workforce, our team will find a community to belong to – whether that’s alongside project teams with a shared vision or as part of an employee network of like-minded individuals. We believe that, by celebrating different backgrounds and different perspectives, together we’ll achieve the extraordinary.
Would you like to apply your Health and Safety knowledge to some of the most complex platforms in the world by supporting the procurement, in-service support and disposal of UK nuclear submarines? If so, we are offering the opportunity to join the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) as a Health and Safety Engineer at HMNB Clyde, Faslane.
We will provide you with a comprehensive suite of safety training to become suitably qualified and competent with fulfilling SDA safety requirements, as well as support in achieving your NEBOSH qualification if applicable.
You will become the SDA’s most experienced and knowledgeable Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) representative on site and will provide guidance to Local Safety Advisors and SDA staff on site. You will also be managing external contractors to assist with diving safety management/ assurance activities and monitoring security performance.
Please note, regular attendance to the stated site will be required for this post and there will be occasional domestic travel to other UK sites.
Due to the nature of security requirements, this post is open to sole UK nationals only.
- Liaise with the SDAs central safety team, site leader and host site on H&S site matters
- Attend SDA H&S working group(s), SDA committee(s) and applicable host site safety committees for the SDA
- Produce, maintain, and review the SDAs site safety instruction, site induction training and site risk assessment on a regular basis in conjunction with the host sites safety management system and the site leader
- Provide support to SDA staff on the application of the SDA and site H&S management system
- Deliver site specific SDA H&S training, where applicable
- Lead SDA investigations, first party site audits and second party audits with the SDAs central safety team, identifying key learning points to drive continuous improvement
- Assist the host site with their assurance activities of SDA staff on site alongside the site leader
- Ensure incidents; accident or near misses, and hazards, are reported, and where applicable in conjunction with Host site’s safety advisor, reviewed, investigated, actioned and closed-out
- Act as the escalation point of contact for H&S advice and guidance across the business to Site Leader (SL) and SDA central safety team
- Manage elements of embedding OHS legislation and regulations across the Superintendent Fleet Maintenance (SFM) team
- Oversee the maintenance and development of appropriate KPIs, dashboard reporting and risk registers
- Manage corporate communications on key H&S messages, ensuring effective delivery
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- You will hold a Level 4 qualification (HNC or higher), or be able to demonstrate the equivalent experience
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineering or Science professional affiliation or be able to demonstrate the equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
- Experience working within safety or security management roles within a high hazard or security sensitive environment
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Compliance with Policy (Practitioner)
- Applies knowledge and complies with safety (Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
- 25 days’ annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you’re looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, here you’ll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of. And if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know.
For further information and to apply, please click here