DE&S Safety Manager
DE&S Ministry of Defence
DE&S Safety Manager
£43,400 - £47,000
We are Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S). We manage a vast range of projects to supply and maintain vital equipment and services for the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force. Together, we deliver essential defence programmes – and strive for what’s next. Because it helps keep our military at the top of their game and our nation safe, now and in the future.
Across our 12,500-strong organisation, we support all our people to be at their very best, fostering a family-friendly approach to flexible and hybrid working.After all, support is in our name.
Would you like to use your systems safety knowledge to keep military personnel safe and maintain essential UK capabilities? If so, our Land Engineering Division is actively recruiting Safety Managers to join them working on some of the UK’s most prominent defence projects. We are offering the opportunity to support the ongoing critical programmes both at home and abroad, with the chance to get hands-on with equipment and expand your breadth of safety experience.
You will be assigned to one of the following operations centres:
- Land Equipment (LEOC) – covering a hugely diverse portfolio of Land Equipment projects including Armoured Fighting Vehicles, Main Battle Tanks, Artillery Fires Systems and Multi Launch Rocket Systems. LEOC works in partnership with both the Weapons Operating Centre (WOC) and Integrated Battlespace Operating Centre (IBOC) to deliver the ultimate in land platforms.
- The Integrated Battlespace (IBOC) – working across the Maritime, Land and Air domains, IBOC has a diverse portfolio including communications, networks, radars, Electronic Warfare (EW) – including Electronic Countermeasures (ECM), Electronic Surveillance (ES) and Electronic Attack (EA), Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN), and Air Traffic Management (ATM) equipment, together with some more classified capabilities.
- Weapons Operating Centre (WOC) – munitions and weapon systems ranging from small calibre bullets and bombs through to complex missile systems.
We operate hybrid working and your duty station can be aligned at any of the following locations, though please note, LEOC and IBOC roles are Bristol based:
- MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol BS34 8JH
- Defence Munitions Beith, Ayrshire KA15 1JT
- MOD Boscombe Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP4 0JH
Please note that due to the nature of security requirements, some of these roles are open to sole UK nationals only and may require you to undergo Developed Vetting (DV) clearance.
- Provide informed safety advice to decision makers through Project Safety Panels
- Produces, reviews, endorses and recommends acceptance of safety artefacts
- Ensuring the safety of emerging cutting-edge systems and technologies
- Provide specialist advice on the application of Safety Management systems
- Leading a diverse grouping of stakeholders at different levels/grades, with possible line management responsibilities
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Hold a HNC (i.e., Level 4 or higher) qualification in a relevant safety, engineering, or science field, or have the equivalent relevant experience
- Experience of providing technical advice and the delivery of safe products or services, in an engineering environment
- Experience in the use of Safety Management Tools and Processes
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Adoption of safety risk management (Practitioner)
- Application of Analytical techniques (Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
- 25 days’ annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you’re looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, here you’ll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of. And if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know.
For further information and to apply, please click here