DE&S Junior Safety Engineer
DE&S Ministry of Defence
Bristol & Boscombe Down
DE&S Junior Safety Engineer
£35,200 - £38,000
We are Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S). We manage a vast range of projects to supply and maintain vital equipment and services for the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force. Together, we deliver essential defence programmes – and strive for what’s next. Because it helps keep our military at the top of their game and our nation safe, now and in the future.
Across our 12,500-strong organisation, we support all our people to be at their very best, fostering a family-friendly approach to flexible and hybrid working. After all, support is in our name.
Are you an Engineer with a Safety background looking for a role which makes a real-world impact? At Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S), our purpose is to make sure our military sailors, soldiers and aviators have the lifesaving, battle-winning capabilities they need to overcome adversity. We’re dedicated to this mission, because we know our success will save lives, support our economy, and help our armed forces defend our way of life. We’re delivering vital work – join us as a Junior Safety Engineer and be part of it.
We actively encourage career progression and are keen to develop you in your field of expertise, providing you with a comprehensive suite of safety training to become suitably qualified and competent with fulfilling DE&S safety requirements.
You will be allocated to one of our following Operating Centres:
- Weapons – Munitions and weapon systems ranging from small calibre ammunition through to strategic missile systems.
- Land Equipment – covering a hugely diverse portfolio of Land Equipment projects including Armoured Fighting Vehicles, Main Battle Tanks, Artillery Fires Systems and Multi Launch Rocket Systems.
- Integrated Battlespace – working across the Maritime, Land and Air domains, IBOC has a diverse portfolio including communications, networks, radars, Electronic Warfare (EW) – including Electronic Countermeasures (ECM), Electronic Surveillance (ES) and Electronic Attack (EA), Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN), and Air Traffic Management (ATM) equipment, together with some more classified capabilities.
Due to the nature of security requirements, some of these roles are open to sole UK nationals only and may require you to undergo Developed Vetting (DV) clearance once in the post.
- Support the development and management of Safety Cases at project level
- Support the planning, witnessing and execution of trials for a variety of equipment, platforms or Ordnance Munitions and Explosives (OME)
- Work with colleagues at all levels to ensure compliance with relevant UK and EU legislation and regulations, MOD regulations and DE&S Policy
- Provide specialist advice on the application of Safety Management systems
- Produce and contribute to Safety Management Plans
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of policy and process to satisfy the DE&S corporate standards for Safety Management
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Hold a qualification in safety, or a HNC (i.e., Level 4 or higher) qualification in an engineering or science discipline or be able to demonstrate the equivalent experience
- Experience of supporting the delivery of safety products or services, in an engineering environment
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Adoption of safety risk management process (Practitioner)
- Technical Decision Making (Supervised Practitioner)
- Communicating and influencing
- Changing and improving
- 25 days’ annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you’re looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, here you’ll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of. And if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know.
For further information and to apply, please click here