DE&S Engineering Manager
DE&S Ministry of Defence
DE&S Engineering Manager
£43,400 - £47,000
We are Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S). We manage a vast range of projects to supply and maintain vital equipment and services for the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force. Together, we deliver essential defence programmes – and strive for what’s next. Because it helps keep our military at the top of their game and our nation safe, now and in the future.
Across our 12,500-strong organisation, we support all our people to be at their very best, fostering a family-friendly approach to flexible and hybrid working. After all, support is in our name.
At Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S), our purpose is to make sure our military sailors, soldiers and aviators have the lifesaving, battle-winning capabilities they need to overcome adversity. We’re dedicated to this mission, because we know our success will save lives, support our economy, and help our armed forces defend our way of life. We’re delivering vital work – join us as an Engineering Manager and be part of it.
You will be allocated to one of our following Operating Centres:
- Land Equipment – covering a hugely diverse portfolio of Land Equipment projects including Armoured Fighting Vehicles, Main Battle Tanks, Artillery Fires Systems and Multi Launch Rocket Systems.
- Weapons – Munitions and weapon systems through to strategic missile systems. covering all areas of Ordnance Munitions and Explosives (OME) and Lasers across Air, Land and Sea domains. You could be working first hand with rocket launch systems, laser technology and fire control systems.
- Integrated Battlespace – working across the Maritime, Land and Air domains, IBOC has a diverse portfolio including communications, networks, radars, Electronic Warfare (EW) – including Electronic Countermeasures (ECM), Electronic Surveillance (ES) and Electronic Attack (EA), Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN), and Air Traffic Management (ATM) equipment, together with some more classified capabilities.
Please note, regular attendance to MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol will be required for this role. There will also be occasional domestic travel to other UK sites and the potential for international travel.
Due to the nature of security requirements, one of these roles is open to sole UK nationals only.
- Lead from the front, interface with industry and stakeholders, as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification and management of risks associated with procuring complex military equipment
- Refine requirements, develop the best solutions and determine how to deliver them to the customer, utilising cutting-edge technology, to deliver world class military capability
- Create and maintain engineering plans to enable collaborative working across the team and with stakeholders
- Provide engineering assurance across the project lifecycle holding contractors to account, ensuring best value to the taxpayer
- Manage the development of requirements related to own area of specialism including acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (i.e. HNC) qualification in a relevant Engineering/Science discipline, or will demonstrate the equivalent level of experience
- You will demonstrate experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
- Technical expertise in an engineering discipline, such as but not limited to: Systems, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Weapons or Communications
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competences and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- Technical Decision Making (Practitioner)
- Technical Risk Management (Practitioner)
- Changing and improving
- 25 days’ annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you’re looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break, here you’ll find a supportive, family-friendly organisation to be a part of. And if you need any assistance with your application, just let us know.
For further information and to apply, please click here