Radway Green, Cheshire
£45,075 (3 shift premium)
BAE Systems Land UK
Supporting the Armed Forces with the most advanced munitions capabilities in the world is one of the most exciting career moves you could make. Join us and be part of a team that gives our customers a strategic edge on the battlefield by designing, manufacturing and maintaining some of their most vital equipment.
With major facilities in Cheshire, Monmouthshire, Shropshire and Tyne and Wear our Land UK business is looking for people with the passion, drive and technical skills to give the best they can every day, to make sure our troops receive only the best. In return, we offer you a role you can be proud of, that lets you grow and develop in the UK’s leading defence, aerospace and security company.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working as part of a manufacturing team, setting and operating manufacturing equipment to achieve production targets
- Reacting to and resolving immediate mechanical breakdowns
- Ensuring safe and quality production using SPC and following written SOP (Standard operating procedures) and RA (Risk Assessments)
- Conducting maintenance activities on machines in line with preventative maintenance schedules
- Interacting with the company Smart Factory platform to record machine availability losses
- Taking part in company improvement initiatives using a structured CI framework
Your skills and experiences:
- Time served – 3-4 Year Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship, served in a relevant Engineering industry
- Experience in a Mechanical Engineering field, ideally within a medium – high volume manufacturing environment
- Ability to work a 3-shift pattern (6am-2pm, 2pm-10pm, 10pm-6am. Early finish on Fridays)
- Experience with operating and/or maintenance of Power Presses or experience in automated assembly equipment
- Holding an up-to-date power press safety qualification
- Basic understanding of Statistical Process Control
You’ll receive benefits including a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. You’ll also have access to additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and employee discounts – you may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
The Manufacturing team:
You will get the opportunity to work in our new modern, purpose-built facility for the dedicated semi-automated production of small arms ammunition, across a 3-shift pattern. You will have Process Leaders on hand to share their knowledge and support your development, and you will work alongside other technicians and operators in a team environment. This is an exciting opportunity to take ownership of your successes are you take responsibility for running and maintaining several machines within
a manufacturing area on a shift basis where between 50-100,000 components are produced.
Why BAE Systems?
This is a place where you’ll be able to make a real difference. You’ll be part of an inclusive culture that values diversity, rewards integrity, and merit, and where you’ll be empowered to fulfil your potential. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals.
We also want to make sure that our recruitment processes are as inclusive as possible. If you have a disability or health condition (for example dyslexia, autism, an anxiety disorder etc.) that may affect your performance in certain assessment types, please speak to your recruiter about potential reasonable adjustments.”
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation.
Closing Date: 9th August 2023
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.